Friday, November 7, 2008

Running the Race

No updates from me in a while so I thought I would take a minute to share what is going on in my life & dealing with my Crohn's... This is cut from my personal blog, but I thought it might be relevant here today.

Wow... how time flies!!! Seems like no time ago I was just getting started back into running & here I am ready to head out to my first half marathon tomorrow in Chickamauga, GA. I know I am really bad about keeping these notes up to date, but I figured since the entire reason for starting this was to keep track of training progress to my running my first half marathon, I should at least update it today.

I started running again in September 2007 - with my motivation being to run with the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation Team at the ING Marathon in Miami last January. Well, with the best laid plans and intentions, I was not able to make that trip as life got in the way. But I found something in running, and that training, that I had forgotten about. There is a peace and clarity of thought for me when I run, that really doesn't come any other time. I think a lot of that is because I take my running time to get alone with God and just talking about... everything.

You have to keep in mind that up to this point in my life, I have not run in almost 18 years - since high school. Most of the reason I have not run is from fear of what running will do to my body because of my Crohn's. Fear of not finding a bathroom soon enough - fear of some adverse reaction to my medications while I run - fear of.....Crohn's. But as of late I have come to a realization that I refuse to live my life in fear and that even if all of these things do happen - I will not be a victim to Crohn's anymore.

So here's to the Battlefield half marathon... Ready to run. Pictures and commentary to follow after the race.

1 comment:

Emma said...

YOU ROCK! Keep on keepin on! =) Running is helping you heal on so many levels. Cycling has done that for me. I wish you the best! Keep your head up =)