Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Life update

It's been a while since any of us have posted anything here - would really like to get these blog posts going again and get some new people on here sharing their life stories and their battles / successes with Crohn's. If you're interested - email me.

My life over the summer has been pretty crazy. For those of you who keep up with me, you know I'm pretty OCD with my running and I this year I started competing in triathlons. Got 2 triathlons under my belt & was training pretty steady for running a full marathon this fall... Then the wheels fell off...

Not literally off my bike... but I ended up with a stress fracture in my left shin. What does than mean to a runner - NO RUNNING for 12 weeks!! So I have not run since the first of July, until today. The doctor has now cleared me to run and I was able to get out and run 1 mile today. Thank Heaven for the small things in life.

Have to wonder in the back of my mind if the stress fracture might somehow be tied to Crohn's and the lack of nutrition that our bodies get and keep inside. I was not training hard and was not increasing my mileage severely - I guess anything could happen and cause a stress fracture, but have to wonder what role Crohn's played. Probably will never get the true answer this side of Heaven.

Still taking Humira on a regular basis - 1 shot every two weeks. I take Pentasa, but have the biggest struggle trying to remember to take it 4 times a day. When I take it I can tell that I feel better, but dangit - why can't they just make it one pill a day. We Crohn's patients do try to have a life - & trying to fit those pills every 4 hours into a schedule is tough. Should be that tough, but it is...

Hope you guys / gals are doing ok out there & we'll chat again soon.

1 comment:

Brittney Henage said...

My Dr told me about this new medication called Apriso, it is a newer version of the pentasa that you only take once a day! Ask your Dr if it might work for you.