Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Out the window


Going into this week I began to prepare myself and my body for a much loved Colonoscopy. I had determined that I would eat less Sunday, fast from food (except what I need to take my meds) and then do liquid on Tuesday. When Monday came I woke up extremely nauseated. So I decided to eat something a little more significant to see if that would help. I stayed that way most of the morning and finally it seemed to pass later that afternoon. At this point I was truely looking forward to my colonoscopy so we could see what was going on. Tuesday came and I didn't even feel like getting out of bed. Not only was I nuaseated but I was having severe stomach cramps. The thought of having to drink my wonderful gallon of "stuff" loomed like a black cloud. I was supposed to start drinking it all around 2pm. I decided to start a little early becuase I could already tell that it was going to be a battle.
I must say that I was surprised by the taste. It was definately tolerable. After about 3 rounds my stomach said NO MORE! I tried for round 4 with no luck. Everything I drank came right back up. I tried my darnedest to push through but I just could. TO make matters worse, I had seen no evidence that this wonderful drink was working. I called the doctor's office to see what I needed to do. They quickly decided that I needed to scrap my colonoscopy. They feared that I might have a virus and be dehydrated. I was a little disappointed but also very relieved.
Within a moment the nurse called me back to reschedule for a couple of weeks. She quickly said that they wanted to do a more updated type of colon cleanse next time. One that you have to drink less and tastes better.
Ok, so you can imagine what went through my mind.
Do Huh? You have got to be kidding me that there is another way to accomplish this that is easier. HELLO! WHY DIDN"T THEY GIVE ME THAT IN THE BEGINNING!

But I politely said," Ok sounds great."
So... colonoscopy out the window until the 25th when we try again.

2 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Oh sweetie! I'm sorry you drank that "stuff" for nothing...

Praying the virus or whatever this is, goes away soon!!

Jess said...

You have my sympathies.
Stephanie referred me over to read your post after she read what I had just written about my wonderful 'small bowel follow-through'.
You know, I just had my most recent colonoscopy last month and they had me buy a bottle of magnesium citrate and it really wasn't bad at all. Kind of lemony and you add it to equal parts of clear liquid (I did Sprite, since it's lemony already) and it worked. Beats the other stuff I've had to do for prep in the past! And definitely beats what I had to chug this past Monday!!
Good luck with your tests.

~jessica