Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Medications. Medications. And more Medications!!!

I thought it might be interesting to talk about all the different medications that we take as Crohn's patients. I know there is lots of different stuff out there, and what works for one of us may not work for another. But it would still be an interesting excercise to see what everyone is currently taking and how you are doing with it, what you have taken in the past that maybe didn't work and why, or is there some new stuff out there that you intend to ask your doc about trying.

Currently, I'm on 1000mg of Pentasa 4 x day, 50mg of Imuran 1 x day, and 40mg of Omeprazole 1 x day. For me, this is probably the least amount of medications I have taken since I was diagnosed 15 years ago. When I was first diagnosed, I was taking about 40 pills a day. My medication now is primary preventative maintenance medication, since my Crohn's is currently in remission.

Share with us as much info as you want about your current medication. Themore info we have, the better it is for everyone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As I've only recently been diagnosed the doc is still working out what might work for me, so he's prescribed 40mg Prednisolone steroids and that's it. I've been on them a little over a week and I have to cut the dose to 20mg from Saturday coming. They don't seem to have had an effect on the rumbling bowels - but they've certainly made one angry man!! Such bad mood swings! Other than what's been prescribed I also take - Buscopan for stomach cramps, loperamide for diarrhoea as well as my lanzoprazole for acid reflux.

All in all I rattle when I walk!

Lindsay said...

AHHH!!! Medications. Can seem to be the worst of Crohn's and the best. I hate prednisone but I love it. It works great to make me feel better but I hate that I don't seem to be able to get off of it. RIght now my meds are....
15mg pred. (as of today)
75md azathioprine
1mg folic acid
and ALOT of sulfasalazine.

megasam said...

My husband was diagnosed almost 4 years ago. He was also diagnosed 2 years ago with related arthritis and PSC. Currently he is taking:
Pentasa 4000mg/day (16 pills)
6MP 100mg/day (2 pills)
Urso 1500mg/day (6 pills)
Multi-Vitamin
Calcium
Prednisone when needed

He had tried Asacol but it didn't work at all. He was on a higher dose of 6MP but it was causing toxic liver numbers. He has rotated between Prednisone and Entocort when needed, but the Pred seems to work faster. He also has Dilaudid for the pain associated with the arthritis because it attacks his joints and causes severe pain at times. And Phenergran (sp?) for when the nauseau gets bad with the pain.

That is a lot, sometimes I forget how much stuff there is but writing it out makes is real.

megasam said...

One more thing... I can't believe I forgot the Humira injections I give him weekly. I don't know how I could possibly forget that