Sunday, April 6, 2008

Things we think are lost

When I was in high school, I used to enjoy running. Yes, I was one of those people. I ran in raod races and ran long distance on our track team. I wasn't very good, but I enjoyed it tremendously.

Within 6 months after graduating from high school, I was showing pretty severe signs of Crohn's though I would not be diagnosed for another 2 years. I was tired all the time, with no energy to do any of the typical "college" things you would do when you go away to school. I had to give up running shortly after high school, simply because I just couldn't.

Over the last 15 years, there have been several times where I have wanted to get back to doing one of the things I loved, but I just wasn't physically able. I could run 1/4 or 1/2 mile, but that was about it. I had no stamina and could not build any because my body just wasn't ready. Until now...

I started running again back in the fall of last year. Slowly but surely I was able to run longer and farther. Then I hurt my knee of all things and had to stop for the last six weeks of the year. I decided I would start again this year as part of my New Year's resoltion. After running for the few weeks in the fall, I new I could and that my body was ready.

Fast forward from Jan. 1 to yesterday - I finished my first 100 miles of the year. This amount of time and running commitment is something that I never thought I would be able to do again in my lifetime, and honestly it was something the doctors told me I most likely would not be able to do. But here I am.

Someone asked me why running was important to me at this point in my life, I told them I am running for those with Crohn's who can't. There was a time when I could not have dreamed of doing this.

So, for those of you ready this who are early in your diagnosis, I hope that this story gives you hope & encouragement. Those things that you love but you may not be able to do now, do not give up hope that you will be able to do those things again. It may take time ( a lot of time for me ), but there is hope.

And for any of you who want to travel, but think you can't with Crohn's - click on Lizzi link in the authors section on the right. Check out where the Crohn's patient has spent the last 3 months.

Until next time...

3 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Your running is a picture of what God can do. I never thought I would see you run again. (Unless you were running from a flying insect.)

Love you
steph.

Lindsay said...

You inspire me to walk faster when I go get the mail. Maybe one day I can run all the way out there. :-)Just kidding. I really am inspired to run becuase I used to like it too. Maybe one day life and time will allow me to pick it back up. Until then I will live vicariously through you. Love you!

Ruth said...

I think you are really inspiring, and am so glad that you are able to run again and do something that you love so much. Maybe the fact that you had to give it up for a while through being so ill, has made it all that more delicious and fab that you can now do it? Anyway, take care of yourself and long may your running continue! Ruth xx