Saturday, May 17, 2008

Counted as normal

As a Crohn's patient, are there things that you accept as just part of everyday life - that you just deal with and it becomes so second nature that you really don't even give them a second thought. Things that the rest of the "healthy" population would just look at us and think we are crazy. Here's what got me to thinking:

When I went and saw my GI doc not to terribly long ago, he asked on average how many times I went to the restroom a day for a "Crohn's moment." My answer was 6-8 times and I didn't even give it a second thought. You see, when I was fir diagnosed - I was going 20-22 times a day, so 6-8 is a drastic improvement. He looked at me very puzzled and said "You know that's not normal - right?" Well I guess in my head, I do know that the average human does not go to the restroom 6-8 times a day, but I have just dealt with it for so long, I just don't think about it.

Got me to wondering what else in my life I just count as normal, but everyone else in the world would think we are crazy? Anything you can thing of that may help the rest of the world add some insight to us "crohnies" would be great.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I have a "Crohn's Moment" everytime I am in Walmart. Doesn't everyone have "the walmart syndrome" (As we call it in my house).

Enigma said...

One thing that seems "normal" for me because of crohn's is my awesome ability to burp at any given moment! LOL

Maria Verivaki said...

i dont know much about crohns disease, but i do know a lot about what is considered normal in the town i live - you must smoke, you must drink cold frothy coffee, you must be fashionable, your children must like lousy noisy eurovision style music and dress like pop stars,and a whole lot of other things that are ocnsidered normal in hania - so i guess my family and i aren't normal - thank god

Unknown said...

Two words: ONE-PLY!! What everyone else may think normal, or maybe even a minor annoyance in their day, I see as a major hell! What's normal to me is actually carrying my own back up supply of soft and luxurious 2 ply (sometimes even wipes with aloe if I really wanna spoil myself) in my purse for all those "Crohn's moments". As for the burping thing - hell yea! that's totally normal!