Friday, May 30, 2008

Medication du jour - Pentasa

So I'll go first with the meds. I take 2-500mg capsules 4x a day. These are big blue pills (as opposed to the little blue pills) that are not for the faint at heart to take. My wife calls them horse pills. They are by far the largest medication that I have ever taken.

Here's the stuff from their website: www.pentasaus.com
What is PENTASA?
PENTASA is an anti-inflammatory drug containing mesalamine, which helps to reduce inflammation in the intestine. Specifically, PENTASA is approved for the induction of remission and for the treatment of mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis.

PENTASA Features an Innovative Drug Delivery System
PENTASA delivers mesalamine to your small and large intestine in a special way. Here’s how it works:

Each PENTASA capsule has a gelatin-like coating. Once inside your stomach, the coating dissolves, releasing tiny semiporous spheres. These spheres help deliver the mesalamine to your small and large intestine. Water found inside your intestine flushes mesalamine out from the spheres. Once the mesalamine is released, the drug is free to help reduce the inflammation.

PENTASA 500-mg Capsules May Relieve Your Symptoms with Fewer Capsules
PENTASA helps to bring your symptoms under control. In a clinical study, PENTASA significantly reduced the severity of the most common signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis (compared with a sugar pill), including:
Bleeding from the rectum
Stomach cramps
The urge to go to the bathroom
The number of trips to the toilet each day

PENTASA 500-mg capsules provide symptom control and relief with only 8 capsules a day. That’s half the number of capsules compared with the 250-mg formulation.

So that's a synopsis from their site. Go there if you want to read more. I did find it interesting to read that they have a Patient Assistance Program for free or low cost medication for low income families or those with no insurance.

Pros: Well, I do notice that I do not go to the bathroom as much as I did before I was taking it, which is always positive.
Cons: I can't for the life of me remember to take this medication every time I'm supposed to. Even with setting an alarm to help me remember, I still don't take it as prescribed. Maybe they'll read this and take a suggestion - get it down to taking just once a day. I would take all 8 of them in the morning, if it meant I didn't have to take them all day.

Hope that gives you some insight. Until next time...

2 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Okay...I'm missing something here. What are the "little blue pills"? I didn't know you were taking those too...boy I'm an informed wife. I feel bad now thank you. When did I miss this?

It would be interesting to find out how many drug companies have assistance programs. I hate to think that people aren't taking the medication they need because of lack of resources.

ArneA said...

I used Imuran some years ago. Got increased urine acid so we swapped to CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil). Great improvements.
Also using Cyclosporin and Prednisolon and feel fine. Life is good.