Friday, May 2, 2008

How do you remember???

As Crohn's patients, we all inevitably take a lot of medication. I remember when I was first diagnosed I had to take medication on an empty stomach when I woke up, then with breakfast, the on an empty stomach after beakfast, empty stomach before lunch... on and on it went.

Fortunately, now most of the medication I take is first thing in the morning, with or without food (my preference). But I take Pentasa 4 times a day. So I have to spread it out even through the day. The trick for me is remembering to take it each and every time. So I have an alarm set on my watch for 4 different times during the day to remind me to take my medicine. Most of the time I'm pretty good about taking it when the alarm goes off, but there are times when I just don't feel like it. It get so sick and tired of taking medications.

Luckily for me, my youngest daughter has also become part of my alarm system. She knows now that my alarm is set to remind me to take my medicine. So every time my alarm goes off, I hear this sweet little voice saying "Medicine time daddy." Who can resist? Not me.

So here is my question - how do you remember to take ALL of your medicine EVERY day? Please do share.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm an early riser - nothing to do with steroids, I've been that way all my life - so the 'morning' tablets I take with breakfast, or spaced before and after breakfast to allow a sufficient period in between different types. The others I take around lunchtime and I frequently forget these as I'm either at work and have forgotten to bring them with me, or at home busy with something else. I like the idea of an alarm - going to try that. Failing that could always invest in an elephant - it might not remember the times of my medication but would do wonders for my rose garden!!
Gary

Anonymous said...

I have IBS, not Crohns, but I have to take medication 3 or 4 times a day. Luckily (or unluckily may be more like it) most days I remember to take my meds only because I start to feel it in my belly when it's close to time to take it. When I am having a great day I often forget to take my dinner pill until after I have eaten. Maybe I should buy a watch! :)